“People who work inside the CX space are going to experience changes in their day-to-day routine. A big part of customer experience is gathering information from different sources, whether it's from SMS, email, or phone, and presenting the information to the customer when they ask questions. If ChatGPT has the ability to pull this same data from internal and external sources, we will need to take a look at how we can become the orchestrator of this process.” – Connor Tomkies, co-founder, SupportNinja
As a CX leader, keeping up with the rapidly-evolving landscape of customer experience is critical. Enter ChatGPT - a game-changing new player in CX technology.
Boasting unrivaled abilities in natural language processing, ChatGPT offers deep interactions and unprecedented control over customer conversations, positioning it as one of the most promising CX developments in recent years.
In this article, we'll dive into what ChatGPT is, how it works, and how it can help enhance your operations.
ChatGPT – innovative technology with huge potential
Released in November 2022, ChatGPT is an advanced language chatbot developed by OpenAI that uses artificial intelligence to have interactive conversations with users across the world. In conjunction with training data and common pre-existing knowledge, ChatGPT has the ability to understand the information provided in various contexts, offer solutions to posed questions, and be seemingly engaged in a meaningful conversation.
Automating customer service interactions
When it comes to innovative technology, ChatGPT takes the cake. Its use of natural language processing (NLP) and information access demonstrates great potential for further advancement across multiple industries in several ways:
Quicker response times
When it comes to customer service, the quicker the response time, the better. With ChatGPT, responses can be instantaneous. Answering common questions and providing relevant information enable customers to maximize their time and cut back on the time spent waiting for human assistance.
Getting round-the-clock human assistance can be challenging, however, ChatGPT offers assistance anytime, day or night. Continuous support can play a significant role in increasing customer satisfaction.
Rather than hiring additional personnel to support the customer service department in your company, ChatGPT can manage a larger number of interactions that humans cannot. Not only does its ability to address a higher volume (and variety) of customer needs save time, but it also makes it easier to scale.
Consistency is key
Once guidelines and protocols are established, ChatGPT adheres to those standards and provides consistent service and responses to customers' questions.
When supporting basic customer issues or frequently asked questions, ChatGPT has the ability to guide customers through troubleshooting steps to arrive at a reasonable solution.
Regardless of a customer's native language, ChatGPT has multilingual capabilities that make servicing customers easier. Many multilingual customers too-often experience language barriers and subpar customer service but with the help of ChatGPT, they can experience greater support and access to the information they need when they need it.
As ChatGPT learns from each customer interaction over time, it can improve its delivery of services. Not only can it analyze customer feedback, it has the ability to identify areas of improvement and make the necessary changes to improve customer experience and overall satisfaction.
The benefits of using ChatGPT in the BPO industry
The ChatGPT technology holds numerous advantages for the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) sector. Although the potential to automate customer service interactions is attractive, there are more benefits that can streamline productivity and operations, elevating businesses in countless ways.
- Lower Costs. Cost efficiency is huge in any successful business. ChatGPT allows businesses to automate repetitive and minimally complex tasks so you can boost your volume of customer support and lower your human labor costs.
- Increased sales. Rather than investing time and money researching consumer interests and behavior, ChatGPT can be used to streamline sales by creating personalized, targeted product recommendations.
- Data analysis. As soon as data comes in, ChatGPT can identify patterns and trends, process the information, and generate detailed reports that will give valuable insights on customer behavior.
- Content management and oversight. ChatGPT can help with content management and oversight by flagging potentially harmful content that negatively impacts your business. ChatGPT can boost content creation and moderation by drastically improving efficiency and accuracy compared to a traditional manual approach.
- Optimize workflows and integration. Data entry, document processing and management, and information retrieval no longer require the same amount of time and effort. With ChatGPT, business reports can be generated in minimal time and data management can become quicker and more efficient, allowing human employees to work on more complex tasks. Plus, ChatGPT can be seamlessly integrated into current workflows to better support ticket processing and CRM tools.
- Human resources. Integrating ChatGPT can improve accurate responses to candidate inquiries during the hiring process. It can also be used to facilitate candidate screening, previewing resumes, scheduling interviews, generating relevant interview questions, and improving the overall hiring experience.
- Training and onboarding. ChatGPT can enhance the training and onboarding process of new employees by providing relevant information from real-world customer interactions. Rather than working with hypothetical scenarios, ChatGPT can be a training tool that aids in managing and updating processes based on actual interests, questions and encounters with customers.
- Improve quality assurance. Not only can ChatGPT be used as a training tool, but it can also analyze conversations with customers and provide valuable feedback on how to improve future interactions. These areas of improvement can then be incorporated into future training modules, improving quality assurance across the company.
ChatGPT – challenges in the BPO industry
While there are many benefits to ChatGPT in the BPO industry, it is important to note that there are also some challenges only human oversight and intervention can address. Here are a few questions to keep in mind when deciding whether to fully integrate ChatGPT into your day-to-day business:
Will ChatGPT understand domain specificity?
Understanding industry-specific jargon may pose a challenge, especially when technical terms or complex questions require equally specific solutions. While ChatGPT does have the ability to adapt and accommodate inquiries as more data becomes available, not all companies have the time to wait for this level of fine-tuning to occur.
Can ChatGPT recognize bias?
While it may occur inadvertently, ChatGPT is a language model that ultimately reflects the information presented in the training data. Even though it can flag potentially offensive and inflammatory language, it may not be able to ensure 100% fair and unbiased responses. Each company will need to define ethical guidelines to ensure the appropriate unbiased data establishes a baseline for customer interactions with ChatGPT.
What do customers expect from ChatGPT?
This varies from customer to customer. User acceptance of ChatGPT as a customer service tool can produce a wide range of expectations. While most customers expect helpful and timely communication, they may also show favor for human customer support agents who can handle more sensitive or emotionally complex issues.
How easily can I integrate ChatGPT into my BPO partnership?
Again, depending on the current platforms your company uses and the workflows you currently have in place, you may discover integrating ChatGPT requires additional time and forethought. Careful planning and strategic development will be required when ensuring ChatGPT will be compatible and scalable for your existing customer service technology.
Addressing the potential challenges of implementing ChatGPT into your partnerships requires a thoughtful and comprehensive approach. As with any new technology, it is always best to evaluate the pros and cons of the product and establish clear guidelines for its use.
ChatGPT as a supplementary tool
ChatGPT may not in fact be the answer for everything, but it can be viewed as a valuable tool. As noted by Tomkies, “We don’t want to release AI into complex customer interactions blindly.”
At SupportNinja, we strongly support AI technology, but we are also a people-first company. We champion our global partners by providing outsourcing solutions that meet your needs as your business continues to grow.
While there is a time and place for advanced technology solutions like ChatGPT, we also understand the importance of maintaining human connection. Whether you are in search of customer success, technical support, content moderation, data processing, or professional services, our team is ready to deliver quality solutions.
Looking towards the future of ChatGPT and BPO
There’s no doubt about it—ChatGPT has the potential to completely transform the business landscape as we know it. The ability to automate routine and repetitive tasks, generate real-time data analysis reports, support multilingual customers with a vast range of customer service requests, and improve data accuracy are just a few of the many advantages ChatGPT can offer businesses looking to scale.
If you want to explore how ChatGPT can be of value to your business, here are a few suggestions to set you up for success:
- Always define clear objectives. Identify what your expectations are of ChatGPT and set clear objectives so you can guide the experimentation process in a practical way.
- Take it one step at a time. Rather than going in full force, target a specific area of your business where you think ChatGPT can provide the greatest value. Doing so will allow you to manage the risks and identify solutions to any challenges that may arise.
- Include human oversight. As you gradually roll out ChatGPT, make sure you leave opportunities for human oversight and intervention to ensure quality control.
- Gather user feedback. Even as you integrate ChatGPT into your current processes, gathering user feedback is still necessary. Are they satisfied with their experience interacting with ChatGPT? Would they want to use it again? Customer feedback will enable you to learn and enhance your tools to meet the needs and interests of your users.
- Monitor and evaluate key indicators. Just as you would with any other new technology, it is best to establish clear metrics and monitoring procedures to gather data on customer satisfaction, response accuracy, and levels of effectiveness.
- Connect with AI experts. There are plenty of AI experts and data scientists who understand the development and inner workings of ChatGPT. If you have questions or concerns, their expertise can offer some insight that will help you determine the next steps for your business.
All in all, Tomkies shares an important final thought, “Whether the pros will outweigh the cons is still yet to be determined, but as long as businesses are talking proactively and sharing their experiences, companies can continue to get excited about the possibilities ChatGPT and other AI platforms have to offer.”